Should MLB suspend players for 50 games for marijuana?

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is a terrible policy (referring to Rowell but it could be any player).

I don't think there should be suspension of that size for marijuana. I think marijuana should be legalized but that's another debate.

No, they shouldn't. It's not a performance enhancing drug and it's not a performance inhibiting drug.

Driving drunk is much much worse than being high on a substance that has no long term negative effects (and even if you believe it has long term negative effects, they are far far less than cigarettes or alcohol). Comparing using marijuana to a DUI/DWI is a complete joke and you should be embarrassed to make any kind of equivalence between them.

Excuse me?

I should be embarrassed?

Last I checked both are criminal activities. Just because you evidently don't believe in the law doesn't change that. They are both illegal activities involving drugs, that is similar enough to make a comparison.

My comment was actually directed at strengthening the rules against drinking and driving.

Last I checked MLB can ban whatever it wants as long as the player's association agrees with it. There is plenty of stuff that can get you banned which is perfectly legal to buy and use.

Excuse me?

I should be embarrassed?

Last I checked both are criminal activities. Just because you evidently don't believe in the law doesn't change that. They are both illegal activities involving drugs, that is similar enough to make a comparison.

My comment was actually directed at strengthening the rules against drinking and driving.

Last I checked MLB can ban whatever it wants as long as the player's association agrees with it. There is plenty of stuff that can get you banned which is perfectly legal to buy and use.

Marijuana isn't a criminal activity in many circumstances in my state (California.)

Marijuana isn't a criminal activity in many circumstances in my state (California.)

Yes, I know. It is still a near enough similarity to be used as a point of comparison. Pretty sure Rowell wasn't using in CA since he is from NY and plays baseball on the east coast.

Of course as I stated earlier legality has nothing to do with the MLB ban. If the union and managment got together and banned chewing tobacco it would be within their rights, or black licorice for that matter.

I don't think it should be as severe as the performing enhanciing stuff. Wasn't Lincecum caught with being in possession of marijuana. I don't recall anything happening to him. Although, I guess that wasn't technically a drug test. On a side note, I think Rowell is a loser and we should have already released him. Let him smoke all the dope he wants.

I guess in your eyes smoking weed is the same thing as shooting up heroin too. Some of us can look at things a little deeper than "ITS AGAINST THE LAW!!!".

Also, I never said that MLB shouldn't be able to ban them. I said it shouldn't be an offense that requires a suspension, but obviously they have the right to ban whatever they want.

BTW, on any given week the majority of the population breaks some law. So I guess I don't feel the need to act like I'm better than anyone else.

:ohlord:

This is a bit too close to politics for me to feel comfortable continuing the discussion with you.

I guess in your eyes smoking weed is the same thing as shooting up heroin too. Some of us can look at things a little deeper than "ITS AGAINST THE LAW!!!".

Also, I never said that MLB shouldn't be able to ban them. I said it shouldn't be an offense that requires a suspension, but obviously they have the right to ban whatever they want.

BTW, on any given week the majority of the population breaks some law. So I guess I don't feel the need to act like I'm better than anyone else.

Sorry, I don't believe we get to pick and choose which laws can and cannot obey. Work to get the law changed, if you want, but have respect for those who choose to obey the law

There are two issues here. The first is intertwined with the second.

Let's start with the first one: Billy Rowell's stupidity. You see, I suppose that one can make a case for marijuana being legal and/or not suspending players for 50 games for using it. But the fact is, Rowell should know how thin the ice is that he is skating on. And by indulging in any type of questionable behavior ...... whether it be smoking marijuana, hanging out in bars until 3 A.M., or bungee jumping and risking having his ankle yanked out of its socket, Rowell is pounding on said (thin) ice with all of his might. Not smart.

The second issue is whether or not players should be suspended for smoking marijuana and/or whether marijuana should be legalized ...... and I don't really feel like talking about that, so I'll restrict my post to Rowell and how his choice to use marijuana at this point in his fragile baseball career was extremely stupid.

That's a cute thought, but you and everyone else break laws on a regular basis, whether you realize it or not. There's a stupid law for just about everything. I guess you never speed in your car?

You'd probably get much further in your discussion if you didn't resort to the strawman argument...

Archived